Eggplant: Our New Veggie Of Choice
I have really tried to incorporate different veggies into our meals, but it is a struggle, and we wind up with the same veggies every time. I remember trying out spaghetti squash, and not only was it expensive, it was a lot of work! You don’t even have to peel eggplant, and that is a huge “work saver”. This grilled eggplant can be a side all by itself or you can try these variations to make it a meal! I’ve done both, and with it being a little ways into grilling season, variations of this dish have become my go-to!
I’ve learned that when you buy eggplant, it is best to get them soft, but not too soft. So far, I’ve had a lot of luck!
Slice the eggplant into medallions and salt drain them for anywhere from 15 min- 1 hour. It really doesn’t make that much of a difference. It really only needs 15 min, but if you have to leave them for longer, it will NOT ruin your dish. Salt draining means you salt the eggplant and let it sit in a strainer.
In the meantime, make this garlic flavored olive oil and heat up your grill.
When you are done salt draining, brush both sides of the eggplant medallions with the garlic flavor olive oil. Don’t hesitate to get the garlic pieces on the medallions as well.
Now, sprinkle pepper (and crushed red pepper if desired) on both sides of the eggplant and grill over medium heat for 3-5 minutes per side or until softened with grill marks.
Let the grilled eggplant cool slightly and serve. It’s even delicious when cooled to room temp, so don’t feel like you have to rush!
Don’t forget to try these eggplant salads for more of a meal!
Grilled Eggplant Ingredients
2 medium to large eggplants
1/2 cup of garlic infused olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
crushed red pepper flakes, if desired
- Slice the eggplant into circle medallions.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt and put in strainer for 15 minutes.
- Heat the grill to medium heat and make the garlic flavored olive oil
- Brush garlic flavored olive oil, sprinkle pepper, and crushed red pepper (if desired) on both sides of each eggplant circle medallion.
- Place the medallions right on the grill. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side or until the eggplant is softened and has grill marks.
- Let cool slightly and serve!